The Student Comes First
Since 1984 TLCI’s approach to education is treating each child as unique because we know that every child learns differently and at his or her own rate. When schools refer to “individualized,” they typically mean that their students are allowed to choose from a limited list of standardized courses. Decades of experience have proven that children flourish in an educational environment where their interests, needs and goals are key components in the creation of each day’s learning experience.
Only TLCI offers students an unlimited and flexible opportunity to custom tailor a one-of-a-kind individualized program guided and supported by professional advisors catering to the student’s needs, interests, and strengths at every stage of their development. Our program:
- Provides a personally guided educational experience
- Puts student’s unique needs and interests first
- Overcomes traditional pitfalls of instruction
- Matches student’s learning style
- Empowers student to learn at their own pace
- Uncovers hidden talents and strengths
- Establishes values of lifelong learning
Customized, Collaborative Program
We treat every child as special, working collaboratively with you and your child to develop a specialized educational program that addresses your child’s interests, needs and goals. Students, parents or designated academic manager collaborate with our educational team to develop a core curriculum and custom designed courses to effectively address student interests and goals. The result is that students are empowered to be co-creators of a curriculum that honors their interests and generates intrinsic motivation and commitment to learning. The program effectively positions the student for future success by:
- Leveraging strengths, talents and interests
- Learning how to set and achieve goals
- Building on the core curriculum
- Fostering opportunities to expand knowledge
- Increasing the student’s confidence
- Rediscovering the love of learning
- Becoming adept at objective self reflection and evaluation
Only TLCI offers students an unlimited and flexible opportunity to custom tailor a one-of-a-kind individualized program catering to his or her needs, interests, and strengths at every stage of their development. The result is that students are empowered to be co-creators of a curriculum that honors their interests and generates intrinsic motivation and commitment to learning.
Closely Guided By Experts
TLCI’s Educational Team
You and your child are never alone in your educational journey.
TLCI advisors, teachers and counselors are companions on the educational journey, providing students with a closely guided learning experience. During all phases of the educational process throughout the year, the personal advisor works closely with the student, parent or academic manager to create a unique educational partnership designed to promote discovery and effective learning.
The advisor guides and directs core curriculum design, customizes courses, helps select resources and materials, collaborates on the reflective learning journals, ensures the student meets college and career course prerequisites, evaluates, assesses and issues final grades and credits.
Through the application of advisor guided self-reflection, self-evaluation and self-correction every student including children with learning difficulties become invested partners in their own success working toward achieving their academic, career or college goals. The academic advisor:
- Directs the student’s energy toward success
- Establishes benchmarks to ensure progress
- Creates a process for recognizing successes
- Keeps the student focused and stay on course
- Puts the student on a logical path to reach goals
By engaging in learner-centered questioning and dialogue, the advisor holds up the student’s thoughts and dreams for examination steering him or her past obstacles and pitfalls propelling the student toward academic, career, and personal success.
TLCI’s advisors are skilled in:
- Empathic listening
- Collaborating in the design of curricula
- Student-centered and interdisciplinary learning
- Critical thinking, analytical reasoning and self-reflection
- Bloom’s Hierarchy of Learning and Kolb’s Learning Cycle
- Evaluation and assessment of traditional academic and customized courses
Through a collaborative process of setting and attaining incremental goals, the advisor and other members of the educational team guides the student to reach his or her full potential.
The Whole World As Your Classroom
Living Is Learning
We remain committed to the notion that education is not a collection of knowledge handed down from teachers to students, nor a race to finish a book, a course just for credit, or simply memorizing facts and figures.
Too often children are constrained in their learning by a system or an approach that is designed to prove its own success. By interfering with children’s natural desire to learn, we diminish the intrinsic motivation necessary to enable them to reach for, and achieve, their highest potential.
TLCI’s philosophy of education facilitates and introduces students to a constellation of learning opportunities where the whole world is leveraged to create a customized educational program.
Since 1984 TLCI’s customized, my-size-fits-me professionally guided education:
- Restores child’s love of learning
- Encourages self-directed learning
- Develops personal responsibility
- Facilitates self-reflection and growth
- Create joy in the learning experience.
TLCI’s Middle States accreditation provides the confidence and safety for an authentic, customized educational journey.
Colleges, universities and K-12 school both domestic and international recognize and accept TLCI’s transcripts.
“Accreditation is an activity, not a status. Schools are accredited because of the way they move, not the way they stand.” – John A. Stoops, Late Executive Director, CITA